Sunday, July 20, 2014

FAMILY TIME... DOES IT STILL EXIST?

Ok so when I was a child my family always sat around the kitchen table for dinner every night. Cell phones were just coming on the market when I was a teenager and my mom never allowed them at the dinner table. We would order pizza and have movie night (or watch T.G.I.F.) every Friday. The weekends we would spend time together as a family. That has always been the true definition of family time to me.

Nowadays when I go out to dinner with my daughter I see families sitting there on their cell phones. Kids will be at the table watching videos on their tablet. There's no communication. There just seems to be a disconnect. It really bothers me. 

Family time is so important because it really brings and keeps a family together. Family time is crucial to children. Children go through life stages where communication and family connection are absolutely necessary. If you cannot dedicate two hours of every day to spend time with your children and work on that strong connection then I think it is time to re prioritize.

We as adults get so caught up in the routine of life. We wake up, go to work, come home, eat dinner, get the children ready for bed, and go to sleep. Then we wake up and repeat our day all over. As parent's we are so concerned with providing for our family that the relationships between families are suffering. Divorce and family separations are at a all time high. 

There is a reason for that. Family time isn't what it used to be. Rarely do families sit down at the dinner table and just talk without disruption (cell phones, television, tablets). Most families don't go out as a family any more unless its by obligation. 

If families just took a little more time to reconnect with each other we would really see a change in family dynamics!


No comments:

Post a Comment